Skip to index of sample documents Skip to main page content
  Home > Publications > Incarcerated Parents Manual > Samples > Sample Letter to your Social Worker
Legal Services for Prisoners with Children (LSPC)
  Home | About Us | Publications | News & Events | Issues In Depth | Healing Wall Online | Donations / Interns | Contact Us | Links
printer-friendly format
Caregiver's Authorization Affidavit
De Facto Parent Declaration
Power of Attorney
Letter to Attorney
Letter to Social Worker
Letter to Probation Officer
Letter to Judge
Letter to Family Law Facilitator
Letter to Court Clerk
Donate Now through Network for Good
via Network on
Women in Prison


(Your name)
(Your address)

(Ms./Mr.) (Name of your social worker)
(Address of the social worker)

Dear (Ms./Mr.) (Name of your social worker):

My name is (your name) and my child(ren)'s name (is/are) (child/ren's name). (Her/his) date of birth is (D.O.B. of child/ren) and the case number is (#).

I am writing to let you know that I wish to retain custody of (child/ren's name) and hope to reunited with (her/him) upon my release from (name of institution) on (date of release). I am very concerned about the welfare of (child/ren's name) and believe it is in the child(ren)'s best interest to be reunited with me when I am released from prison. (Add reasons why they should be with you.) I am serving a (length of sentence) year sentence, which means that I will be in prison for (months/years) and will be released. Please let me know what steps I must take to be reunited with my child(ren) when I am released.

I have written to the court to ask that I be allowed to attend the hearing scheduled for (date of hearing). If I am not granted custody of my child(ren), I would like my relative, (name of relative), who is my (relationship), to be given custody.

Thank you.


(Your signature)
(Your name)


Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
1540 Market St., Suite 490  •  San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 255-7036  •